Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching & Referral Hospital (JOOTRH) has been in existence for more than a century, having been established in the early 1900s to cater for the health needs of the workers at the then port town of Kisumu. Since then it has grown to become the referral hospital serving County, Sub-County and private hospitals in more than 10 counties in the Western Kenya Region with a population of more than 5 million people.
The main mandate of JOOTRH is to provide curative, preventive, promotive and rehabilitative health services. It offers specialized clinical services in various disciplines. It serves as a centre for research activities, training for medical students and health workers. The hospital has a total of 880 staff: consisting of 492 regular staff, 107 from partners, 140 casual/contract, 141 outsourced services.
JOOTRH has had an eventful history, which continues to influence its present status. Its inception was largely influenced by the high presence of malaria and other diseases in the then Port Florence, which necessitated the creation of a facility to cater for the Black population. Due to racial segregation reminiscent of the colonial era, Victoria Hospital was established in 1932 to cater for the White population.
The hospital, having been commissioned in 1969, has seen a lot of development by the Kenyan government providing more funds to improve the in-patient capacity and out-patient facilities to its present state. The Victoria Hospital was initially left to the Catholic Church by the colonial government, but later reverted to the government and is currently the amenity wing of JOOTRH.
Currently the hospital receives an average of Kshs. 330 million annually from the central government through the County government and a further Kshs. 200 million is generated through Facility Improvement Fund (FIF). This is against a budget of Kshs. 800 million, resulting in an annual deficit of Kshs. 270 million.
Patients’ rights and responsibilities
More information coming soon